This was one of those "activities" I had found a while back and was saving it for the right day and well, let's face it, a day Waylon was willing to do it. He has gone into full summer mode and does not appreciate my teacher efforts to continue practicing letters and numbers..I still do though. :-)
This lesson I had found from a blog/teacher I follow (here is the blog I got this lesson from http://heidisongs.blogspot.com/2011/05/little-trip-to-fire-station-big-trip-to.html ) This was a guided drawing lesson for a firetruck.
I can not tell you how proud I am of my little artist, he did such a great job drawing it and then an even more amazing job coloring it. This is a keeper for all time in this mama's book.
In this lesson you draw out the square that is the cab of the firetruck and the rectangle that is the back of the truck and then I just followed her free download on the blog and did it step by step with Waylon. He got mad at me at first because I had given him the paper with the square and rectangle on it and then began the drawing lesson, and he told me to wait because he had to trace the square and rectangle first. :-) When doing this lesson he did not want to do the stick person driving the firetruck yet, he had told me he was not very good at them so to just go on to the next step. I loved this lesson because it was fun first of all but the drawing directions were reinforcing things he knew already like circles, squares, rainbows and even letters too.
Things I love most about this drawing:
1) Well duh...my little man did it :-)
2) He tells you when describing the picture that the wheels are ovals and not circles because the firetruck is racing off to a fire. (Wow! that is pretty creative)
3) He colored in the lines so well and even did the light on top his favorite Scarlet Red because it shines brighter he tells me..the truck itself is what he calls Red (from Cars) red.
4) He drew in the sky and grass on his own and even added the tree. The amazing thing is it matches and lines up behind the fire truck.
I can not believe that he turned 4 only a little over a month ago and was able to do this so well. I will be looking for more guided lessons like this to do with him. Because right now he has me drawing out all the cars from "Cars" soon he will catch on though that I am tracing them and he can too.
This was another drawing we worked on last week for the 4th of July. I showed him how to draw fireworks and flags. He loved doing this and made this picture for his Uncle Travis. He had told me that he wanted to give this to him because he (meaning Uncle Travis) said he was "his buddy" I wrote Uncle Travis at the top for him and he traced it, but as you can see by the look on his face he was pretty proud of this picture as well.
He made one for me that I will also forever keep in his keepsake box but I will have to admit I love Uncle Travis' picture more. :-)
Can't wait to see what he does next. We are so proud of our Artist over here Way to Go Waylon~!
Update on Our Artist
Alright so I was excited to see what he was going to do next and boy has he done a lot! Within about 2 weeks Waylon has drawn a lot of pictures, these are some of his (and my) favorites. I can not even begin to tell you how proud I am of him. He tells me all the time he draws like Papa Jeff because he can look at something and then draw it, and he does a pretty amazing job too, I mean really?
Here are some of his latest creations with his and my thoughts of them:
This is a drawing of one of his toys (an aircraft carrier). He actually started this one and then got stuck on what to draw next so he grabbed the toy and brought it to the table. I could hear him talking to himself about what to draw next etc. Now he did not color this one but still did a great job.
This one makes me laugh, because I just love his stick people. This is a picture of us in our camping trailer. I am wearing the purple dress. (one I must wear a lot). Toni is to the left of me and laying down sideways and then Waylon is to left of her and Daddy is the other orange headed person. I love this one because he drew things that are actually in the trailer, like beds and sinks. Waylon says my eyes are popping out too and I have a funny face. "too cute"
This picture he worked on for I don't know how long one morning, literally. He woke me up with this one in hand and I was amazed at what he had drawn. I think this one is pretty clear as it is a tow truck. Some things he pointed out on this picture that are pretty great are the wheels and all the bolts in them. Plus there is one wheel that is "not on the road" he tells us this is the spare wheel and is not supposed to be on the road. You will also see the hook in the back and of course the cute person driving the tow truck.
This is another picture he woke me up with one morning. We had talked about drawing me some princesses one night before he went to bed and I could tell his mind was racing with ideas as he went to bed. So of course this was the first thing he drew for me in the morning before coming in to wake me up. This is 3 princesses and the small item that is between the two in the pink and blue dresses is the table of food for them to Feast on Waylon told me. You can not really see the detail in this picture but he also drew eyelashes on the girls too.
This picture is of Waylon and one of his friends Brody. They have shovels with dirt (that is the brown) on them. They are working in the backyard. So cute I love the snowman type orange bodies and the fingers too which look like rakes. :-)
This is a race car he drew for Jake. Love the spider arms.
This is a butterfly family he drew. He loves drawing these out and making the wings many colors.
Such an Artist I love you Waylon.

No comments:
Post a Comment